My husband is a chocolate fiend, so I had to find a healthy alternative to stop him from buying up the whole of the supermarket sweet aisle! These fudgy bites do the trick.
- 100g hazelnut butter (or any nut butter – almond works well too.)
- 50g raw cacao powder
- 100g maple syrup or raw honey
- 100g coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- A good handful of chopped sour, dried fruit – my favourites are: cranberries, cherries, mulberries or goji berries, but you can choose just about anything. I sometimes add chopped nuts for extra crunch.
- Pinch of salt (sea salt or Himalayan pink salt)
- Options for decoration ingredients: Dried raspberry/strawberry powder, cocoa powder, dessicated coconut, chopped pistachio nuts, bee pollen.
- Mix the hazelnut butter & coconut oil in a food processor.
- Sieve the raw cacoa powder into the mix, then add all the other ingredients (except the dried fruit & the decoration ingredients).
- Whizz up in the food processor until smooth.
- Transfer to a freezer proof bowl & add the dried fruit. Mix well & pop in the freezer for 20-30 mins.
- Once the mixture is firm (but not completely frozen) remove from the freezer.
- On a large flat plate scatter the decoration ingredient of your choice.
- Take 1 tsp of the fudge & roll quickly between the palms of your hands to make a ball shape. (Don’t spend too long doing this as it will begin to melt!)
- Roll the ball in the raspberry powder/cocoa/dessicated coconut etc to cover completely & then transfer to a baking tray lined with baking parchment.
- Continue to do this until all the mix is gone.
- Cover & transfer the tray to the freezer for another 30 mins.
- Take out of the freezer & put the fudge bites into a container & keep in the fridge to munch on every now & then!
These can be made ahead of time & stored in the freezer too.