Oat cakes are a great, quick snack. They are available to buy in the shops, but I actually prefer to make my own because they are so quick & easy & adding different flavours makes them much tastier. (See below for some ideas).
Basic Oat Cake Recipe
- 225g oatmeal, plus extra for dusting (buckwheat flour can also be used)
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 150 ml filtered water
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees
- Melt the butter with the water.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients & pour in the melted butter & water mix.
- Slowly mix all the ingredients so the fluid is completely absorbed
- Roll the dough into a cylinder shape on a board dusted with the extra oatmeal.
- Cut off discs of dough about 1 cm thick. Place the discs onto an oven tray covered with baking parchment.
- Flatten them a little into biscuit shapes.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool & store in an airtight container.
Different Flavour Ideas:
Try adding different herbs & spices to vary the flavour. Here are some of my favourites:
- Add 1/2 tsp tumeric, 1 tsp coriander powder & 1 tsp ground cumin for a spice kick. Sprinkle whole cumin seeds over the top before baking.
- 1 tbsp dried italian herbs – this works well when topped with tomatoes & buffalo mozzarella cheese.
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast – this gives a ‘cheesy’ flavour.
- 1 large or 2 small onions, sliced & caramalized – add these to the mix & coombine well before rolling out.