Most people think of making chocolate as time consuming, difficult & fiddly, myself included until I discovered that you only need 3 ingredients for the basic recipe & making up flavours can become addictive – be warned so are the chocolates!
These make brilliant gifts, if you are looking for that personal touch, for Christmas, Easter, Birthdays…or just to take along to a dinner with friends!
You will need: 1 heatproof bowl, 1 small saucepan, 1-2 chocolate molds & the following ingredients:
- 1 cup/80g cacao powder
- 1 cup/80g cacao butter
- 2-3 tbsp rice malt syrup or maple syrup (to taste)
- Place the cacao butter in a bowl & place over a saucepan of simmering water. (make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water). Stir the butter while until it melts completely.
- Add in the cacao powder & syrup.
- Mix well – I do this whilst it is still over the hot water to keep it still melted.
- If you are going to add any flavours now is the time to do it! (see below for some suggestions)
- Spoon or pour the chocolate mix into the mold of your choice or to make chocolate buttons just simply drop small amounts of the mix onto a tray covered with grease proof paper.
- Put the chocolate in the fridge for 1 hr.
- Remove from the fridge & pop out of the mold.
Add any of the following (or make up your own – it is great fun!) at stage 4 of the method (see above)
- A pinch of sea salt
- A pinch of chilli flakes/powder (go carefully – add as much or as little to taste)
- A few drops of orange juice & grated zest of 1/2 – 1 orange
- A few drops of lemon/lime juice & grated zest of 1 lemon/lime
- Handful of chopped nuts – all work well here – just add your favourite or make up a mix
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- A few drops of vanilla essence
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 tsp ginger
- 2-3 cardomon pods & zest of 1 lime – bash the pods with the zest in pestle & mortar & add to the chocolate